General Process for Pick-up
All campus property must be disposed of through the Cal Overstock & Surplus. Recyclable and refuse items are the only exceptions.
Department Options for Pick-up of Excess Property
Central Distribution provides a no cost service for small requests. This service is limited to what one person can easily move within 30 minutes with the use of an elevator.
|1 desk||1 4-drawer file cabinets|
|2 chairs||OR||1 2-drawer file cabinet|
|1 monitor||1 whiteboard|
To request a pick-up please contact the equipment custodian for your department. If you have questions, please contact us at:
This procedure may not be used for multiple trips to the same location (or general location) for large room clean-ups. In such cases, please use Moving Services for large disposals.
If the amount of items exceeds the 1 staff member/30 minute pick-up rule, the Department can do one of the following:
- Contact Moving and Special Events Services at (510) 643-6262 to arrange for service at a fee.
Department Equipment Custodian Procedures for Pick-up of Surplus Property
Inventorial items must be submitted for disposal through BETS. Any items not in BETS that are to be picked up at the same time, i.e. noninventorial assets, can be identified in the Information Section of the BETS' EIMR, specifying type and quantity.
The Department Equipment Custodian or designate must:
- Ensure those items placed in a salvage cage for pick-up have their property tags easily in view.
- Identify and segregate which item(s) have a Property Tag and are inventorial.
- Enter that item's information into the Berkeley Equipment Tracking System (BETS).
Items with property numbers in BETS that have already been marked "DISPOSED" and items with a barcode property tag, but not tracked in BETS, require that the Equipment Custodian or the designate mark a line through the barcode, using ONLY a YELLOW HIGHLIGHTER.
The Custodian's email will be returned by a Central Distribution dispatcher within 48 hours. In that email, the dispatcher will schedule an appointment with the Equipment Custodian or designate and provide any additional information necessary.
The Equipment Custodian or designate must be present at the pick-up appointment time scheduled by Central Distribution and will be required to sign off for all property picked up.
At the time of pick-up:
- Property tags must be readily visible.
- If there are more items than originally scheduled for disposal, the Equipment Custodian or designate must account for those items while the driver is present.
- If the Equipment Custodian or designate is not present at the pick-up appointment time, the Department will be assessed a recharge fee of $65 to reschedule, which will be deducted from the department's annual net revenue sharing proceeds.
Please note: If any items were missing upon pick-up and those items will be transferred back to that department's inventory.